February 9, 2011 - March 26, 2011: Artspace presents SCRAWL: Drawing Writ Large!
Big Reveal Reception: Friday March 25th 6-8 pm
For seven weeks, 48 artists will mark directly on the walls, floors and windows, to transform the landscape of Artspace with simple materials and their own ingenuity.
SCRAWL is a drawing exhibition inspired by the Surrealists' exquisite corpse games. Each participating artist or team is assigned a portion of the Artspace galleries to make images which connect to the other participant's. The artists and teams create their works without being able to see what those next to them are doing, ultimately collaborating on one giant collective work. The culmination of this exhibit unveils March 25, with a closing reception we have dubbed the Big Reveal.
The SCRAWL artists represent a spectrum of styles and conceptual approaches and range from established professionals known for their wall works to teams of students working as a collective for their drawing class. They include:
• Cat Balco • Anna Broell Bresnick • Alexis Brown • Francis Cooke •
• The Futurists: Karen Dow and her 12 students from the Educational Center for the Arts •
• Laura Gardner • Zachary Keeting • Ken Lovell • Andres Madariaga • Melissa Marks • Maegen McElderry • Tim Nikiforuk • Kerry O'Grady •
• Rebecca Salter - in collaboration with students from the Cooperative Arts and Humanities High School and in conjunction with
Into the Light of Things, the artist's exhibit at the Yale Center for British Art •
• The Sausage Crew: Larissa Hall, Mike Pitassi, and Michael Riley (AKA Queen Larita, M.C. Sausage, and Dr. BOX) •
• Daniel Rios Rodriguez • James Rose • Jean Scott • Rashmi Talpade •
• Team Tele: Maria Lara-Whelpley, Sylvia Hierro, Laura Case, Eleanor Tamsky, and Susan Ferri •
• Traffic Lights and Warning Stripes Team: Vito Bonnano and Justin Crosby •
• Laura Watt
SCRAWL is organized by Martha Lewis, and is made possible with the generous material support of the following Newell-Rubbermaid companies: